Study in UK
Millions of international students from over 100 countries choose to study in the United Kingdom, which is widely regarded as one of the top three study-abroad destinations alongside Canada and the USA. With over 150 highly ranked universities offering exceptional curriculums and research methods, the UK is a preferred destination among Indian students, as per India Today's survey. According to the Higher Education Statistics Agency, the UK currently hosts over 605,130 international students, and it has become the top choice for many global applicants, beating Canada and the USA with nearly 28% of the votes. India is the second-highest represented nation in the UK student body after China, and Nepal is among the top 15. Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, data revealed by Vigo Stacey indicates that over 90% of South Asians still prefer to study overseas, with half of them aiming to study in the UK followed by Canada.
Why study in UK?
- The UK is an attractive study destination due to its globally reputed universities, outstanding research opportunities, diverse population, and excellent job prospects.
- The international reputation of UK universities is exceptional, with four of the top six universities in the world according to the QS World University Rankings.
- The UK government allows a standard stay-back time of two years for international students after graduation.
- Shorter duration courses are available, with over 60,000 courses to suit every individual's needs and reduce tuition and accommodation costs.
- Compared to other countries, such as the US, the average tuition fee for a master's program in the UK is comparatively lower.
- The UK has a strong research infrastructure, with 30% of UK university research classified as 'world-leading' and 46% as 'internationally excellent'.
- Financial aid and scholarships are available, providing students with the opportunity to attend some of the most prestigious institutions in the country.
- Graduates from UK universities have a high employment rate of over 90%, thanks to their globally recognized curriculum and research-oriented skills.
Popular courses in UK
The UK provides a wide range of study abroad programs for international students, including STEM, Humanities, and non-conventional courses with varying durations from 6 months to 5-6 years.
Highly popular MS programs in the UK include Business and Natural Sciences, Engineering and Technology, Medicine, Law, Social Sciences, Media and Communication, Arts, and Hospitality and Tourism.
Details of some of the popular program choices for international students are tabulated below.
Popular Programs: MBA, Civil Engineering, Masters (MS) in Law, Medicine, Computer Science, MS in Psychology, Education, Masters (MS) in Architecture
Best UK University for the Course: London School of Business (MBA), Imperial College (Civil Engineering), University of Cambridge (Masters in Law, Masters in Architecture), University of Oxford (Medicine, Computer Science, MS in Psychology), Durham University (Education)
Duration: 15 to 21 months (MBA), 3 years (Civil Engineering, Masters in Law, Computer Science, MS in Psychology, Education, Masters in Architecture), 5 to 6 years (Medicine)
Employment Rate: 94% (MBA), 78.4% (Civil Engineering), 93.3% (Masters in Law), 99.3% (Medicine), 81.8% (Computer Science), 83.7% (MS in Psychology), 95.2% (Education), 86.3% (Masters in Architecture)
How to study in UK: Application Process?
Let's rearrange it in a step-by-step guide:
- Research your options: Choose from over 60,000 courses and globally renowned institutes in the UK and check their eligibility criteria.
- Financial Planning: Make sure you have the required funds in your account. As per the current UK visa requirements, an international applicant must have a minimum of 12,180 GBP in their account for studying anywhere in the UK except London, and for London, the cost rises to 15,180 GBP per year.
- Plan your application in advance: Collect all the relevant documents and keep a close track of deadlines. It is recommended to plan your application at least 2 months in advance to avoid last-minute hurdles.
- Submit application and wait for acceptance letter: Apply to your chosen university in the UK via the UCAS portal or through Consultant and wait for your acceptance letter.
- Apply for a study in the UK visa: Once you have received your offer letter, reach your nearest British embassy with the required documents and your acceptance letter to apply for a Tier 4 General Student Visa to study in the UK.
Admission requirement to study in UK
- Standardised tests for studying in the UK
English Language Requirements (IELTS, TOEFL etc.):
- IELTS: 6.0-6.5 and 6.5 to 7.0 for undergraduates and graduates, respectively
- Valid Visa
- Statement of Purpose
- Reference letter
Where to apply:
- UCAS portal or through Consultancy
- 20 GBP for one course with 26 GBP per additional choice
Note: Process for admission into Oxford and Cambridge vary vividly and thus, students seeking enrollment to these universities must get in direct contact with the admissions office of these institutes.
When to Study in UK?
It is crucial for international applicants to be aware of the varying deadlines for applying to different courses and institutions in the UK. Therefore, keeping track of the relevant dates for the program and organization of interest is highly important. The completed application forms should be submitted to UCAS by the first week of September. But , Educational Consultant will support your application as according to their tie up with university and college accordingly.
Final Deadline for Entry applications:
Mid of October: Deadline for most of the courses at Cambridge and Oxford. Mostly for medicine, veterinary medicine, and dentistry and other institutions.
Mid of January: Deadline for majority of undergraduate courses.
The international students shall be shortlisted by colleges. Documents must be uploaded timely and applications should be submitted before November. Admission decisions are notified by the college usually around the month of April.
The fee for the range of programs available in the country will vary as per different external and internal factors, primarily upon the level of program and the choice of university ranging from GBP 10,000 to 13,000 for undergraduate and GBP 13,000 to 16,000 for Graduate studies.
Cost of Living in UK
The cost of accommodation and other expenses in the country will highly depend upon your personal choices and the city you live in. For instance, While the average student accommodation price in the UK is approximately 125 GBP per week, a similar rental will cost a student living in Northern Ireland around 91 GBP while to the one living in London it will be nearly 182 GBP which is exactly double.
How to Study in UK with Scholarship?
International students who aspire to study in the UK can explore various scholarship and award options that provide financial assistance to cover their tuition and living expenses. The UK government offers a range of scholarships and studentships to support international students in their pursuit of higher education in the country. Additionally, many universities in the UK also provide merit-based scholarships and other awards to eligible international students. However, it is important to note that scholarships for post-graduate and doctoral courses in the UK have strict eligibility criteria and are not open to all candidates. Therefore, international students must carefully research and apply for scholarships and awards that align with their academic qualifications and interests.
- Chevening Scholarships are available for Master's level study and offer around 700 scholarships per year to candidates from 144 countries.
- Commonwealth Scholarships are available for Master's and PhD level study and are open to citizens of 62 Commonwealth nations who hold at least a 2:1 Honours degree.
- Saltire Scholarships are available for Master's level study and are open to candidates from Canada, India, Pakistan, USA, and China. They offer 50 scholarships worth 8,200 GBP.
- The Australia Foundation Trust offers scholarships to Australian citizens who are entitled to live and study in the UK. The scholarship amount is 10,251 GBP.
- Mackenzie King Memorial Scholarships are available for Master's and PhD level study and are open to candidates who hold a degree from any Canadian university with a minimum grade A. The scholarship amount is 8,710 GBP plus travel allowances.
- China-Great Scholarships offer postgraduate scholarships to candidates who have received an offer for a course at one of the participating universities. The total scholarship amount is 10,24,667 GBP for 150 scholarships.
- BAFTA Scholarships are available for Master's level study in the field of film, television, or games and are open to Chinese nationals. The scholarship amount is 10,246 GBP as tuition fee plus additional living expenses.
- Inlaks Scholarship is available for all levels of study but candidates must have an undergraduate degree and an offer letter from a 'top-ranking' institution.
Scholarship for students from USA in the UK is available for Master's and PhD level study and is open to candidates with a minimum 3.7 GPA and endorsement from their undergraduate university. The application opens in late spring, the year before the candidate is due to start studying.
In summary, the UK is a popular destination for international students due to its highly regarded universities, skilled faculty, research opportunities, employment prospects, and student life. The country's diverse international student population, including a significant percentage of women, provides valuable exposure to different cultures and ethnicities that is attractive to top employers worldwide. Therefore, the UK is rightfully ranked among the top three overseas destinations for international students and is an excellent choice for pursuing higher education.